Monday 4 April 2011

Part Two: Christianity and Predestination




     Within my last post I began to discuss Christian views regarding astrology, with reference to the Bible and my findings from Glendinning and Bruce. However, within this post I will discuss astrology and the Christian understanding of predestination

    John Dool suggests that many Christians are uncomfortable with the theory of predestination: ‘Ultimate destiny of the human person is foreordained… [therefore] it seems to call into question both human freedom and the justice of God.’ Christians may be uncomfortable with the notion of predestination because if our lives are predetermined why does God allow us to suffer? If astrology implies that our future is already determined then we have no freewill.

    In my opinion, this is one of the problems with astrology and horoscopes. If my 2012 astrological prediction said that I was destined to start a new and highly paid job, it would not matter how many qualifications I’d gained or how much experience I had had completed, because it is destined. I believe that horoscopes may give people false hope. There is also a danger when people start living their lives based on what they’ve read in a magazine or on an Internet site. Horoscopes may give people false hope that something may happen in their life when in fact, the horoscope is a general prediction which can apply to virtually anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment