Thursday 24 March 2011

Do people really take horoscopes seriously?



   I decided to search for horoscope predictions on YouTube the other day to explore how popular horoscopes were online. I came across hundreds of videos by the UK astrologer Diana Garland whose videos have been viewed by 1,175,783 people in total. My 2011 horoscope prediction alone had 10,620 views and her 2012 predictions have already been viewed by thousands of people. 

    Although many people watch horoscope videos purely for entertainment, as I began to watch more of them I realised that a large number of people take them seriously. By looking at some of the comments on certain videos it is clear that online horoscopes have become a way of life for many people. On the Taurus 2011 horoscope for example, the following comments demonstrate how serious some people take their horoscope predictions:

Dear Diana, I can’t thank you enough, I had kind of shaky feeling all over my body when I listened your Taurus horoscope 2011. Maybe because at least 90% what you said I could apply to my next year plans. I feel reenergised and wish you all the best.’

Diana, as usual you are spot on. I have heard the same reading from others. I have much to look forward to spiritually and physically, and yes, I have begun a learning curve that I expect to be very rewarding.’

    It is clear from the video comments above that horoscope predictions can make people feel more positive about their future, particularly those people who are going through a difficult time. Horoscopes may encourage people to feel more positive and optimistic about the future and what’s wrong with that?

2 comments:

  1. Do you really think people take them seriously? Ive read my horoscope online before and I didn’t think it would actually come true. People don’t read them to know their future. Horoscopes are supposed to entertain people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I agree that people read their horoscopes for entertainment, as I often do. However, I do believe that many people take them seriously. If you read some of the comments on YouTube videos for example, many people believe that their horoscopes are accurate predictions of the future.

    There are also many blogs online created by people who take their horoscopes very seriously, for example:

    http://astrologyblogger.com/entry/

    http://theastrologyplace.blogspot.com/

    http://lovehoroscopes2011.blogspot.com/

    http://www.astrologicalinvesting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete