Monday 21 March 2011

Ways of ‘predicting the future’ online

    It’s been a while since my last post. I’d like to say it’s because I’ve spent five months researching online astrology, but that would be a lie. One of the reasons for my blogging absence is because I didn’t know how to begin my next post. Fate and destiny online is a large topic to discuss, so where should I start?

    I read my first post again. I stated that it is questionable whether online horoscopes/ tests/ tarot readings truly predict the future or are created purely for entertainment. Can’t it be both? Surely some online horoscopes/ readings aim to provide information and predictions for people who are seriously interested in astrology and ways of predicting the future; whereas other online tests or readings are created to entertain people? In order to answer this question I realised that I needed to explore exactly what was online. In what ways do horoscopes, or other ways of ‘predicting’ the future, entertain people online?


    Only when I began this research did I realise the number of tests, readings and quizzes online which relate to fate and destiny. After many hours of intensive research I have realised that many of these online tests are intended for and created by children. Even so, some of them – although I’m hesitant to admit this – are quite entertaining. I have discovered that these readings and tests claim to predict the future or reveal aspects of your personality in various unusual ways. 

    The games usually involve choosing a ‘favourite’ number, animal, colour or name, which is supposed to indicate future events or tell you more about your personality. For example, according to one colour game my favourite colour - which is purple in case you were wondering – means that I am very fond of show and luxury and will try my utmost to achieve my ambitions. Other tests claim to predict your future husband/wife, career, whether you’ll have children, whether you’ll be financially secure and what your future holds. Even though I doubt the accuracy of these ‘predict the future’ tests, if they were true predictions, my future will be incredibly interesting. Apparently I will have a career as an actress, I will have eight to twelve children, I will live in Costa Rica and have an adopted son from China named Bi Jia ou.

    The fact that so many of these tests are aimed at children demonstrates that children are interested in the topic of fate and destiny. Children are inquisitive about their future and I imagine that many children believe these tests actually reveal certain aspects of their adult life. They may reassure children that their future goals and ambitions can become a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment